Review | Me Before You


Happy Friday, guys!
I hope you have a beautiful weekend.

This movie is one I wasn't sure I wanted to watch at first; a colleague recommended I saw it. I still can't believe I'm stuck on it. Apart from an episode of The Good Wife (Season 7 I think) and Guzaarish (which I had seen a few years back), I don't think I've ever been so connected to a movie that centered on Euthanasia/Assisted Suicide before. I also think there isn't enough awareness about Euthanasia.

By the way, what do you think about me reviewing Bollywood movies on the blog?

My own version of a background:
A young, rich and athletic man becomes paralyzed (from the neck down) in a bike accident. It's two years later and he's the same way. The medical verdict was that he won't get better, but had to still go in once in a while for checkups. He decides to go the route of assisted suicide and his parents of course weren't supportive of the decision, so he gives them 6 months to think about it.

His mother hires a care-giver, in the hopes that she (the care-giver), will be cheerful enough (within the 6 months period) to change his mind. He did get a really nice, kind and careful one, even fell in love with her, but she wasn't enough to change his mind.

Source


Review:
This movie makes me question euthanasia so much. On one hand, I understand perfectly that no one could share the pain he's feeling and no one has any right to ask him to keep being that way for the rest of his life, regardless of if his care-giver never complains, or his parents die and leave enough money to continue taking care of him. It's just really sad that someone was saved from death, just enough to be alive to still be close to it and they just give up. He was so paralyzed that, even when his brain was active, he had to be fed and couldn't even move his neck.

On the other hand, I'm thinking that there had to be a reason why he remained a member of the living club. Emilia Clark (Luisa Clarke) was able to show him that there were many other things he could do, regardless of his health or situation. I loved the fact that she genuinely cared for him and was prepared to do anything, but then I ask myself; what if she grows tired doing the same thing at some point?

Rate: 10/10

Recommendations: Love By Chance, The Dressmaker, Barbershop The Next Cut

Assisted Suicide is a really serious issue and right now, I'm seriously confused as to whether it should be combated or supported. First, it is fully a person's choice to decide to end their lives based on what they're going through. Secondly, it is a sin and in my opinion, there has to be a reason why, instead of dying, they were saved. Third and final thing is, it is a really sad and helpless situation for the person's loved one.

What do you think of Euthanasia/Assisted Suicide? I'd really love to hear your comments.

Till my next post, xx

5 comments

Anonymous said...

You write really well. Keep it up! I stumbled on your handle today, followed you, and I decided to peep into your views of the world through your writings. Kudos. Catch me if you can!

Unknown said...

Awww thank you so much for the compliment!
I'm really glad you enjoyed surfing here.

Please come back! Hopefully with your identity so I don't have to embarrass my generation by running, hehehe :D

Anonymous said...

Really? Well, I followed you on Twitter earlier today. By the way, belated(?) Jummah Mubarak to you!

Demilade said...

I read the book and it made me so sad! Netflix keeps suggesting the movie to me but I'm not ready to watch it haha. Euthanasia is quite a tricky subject and it confuses me too. I enjoyed reading this review, love the way you described the story :)
Coco Bella Blog

Unknown said...

It gave me goosebumps every time I watched it. I even forgot it was a film!
Thank you so much for your kind comment, Demilade :D

Back to Top