Review Friday: "Cooked Up Love"

Poster for Cooked Up Love
Photo: latestnollywoodmovies

Hello guys!


It's another Friyay and I am as excited as your definition of excitement! I feel like Friday is naturally programmed with excitement just because it's next to Saturday (for people that don't work on weekends). So as has been custom in a few of my previous posts like this one and this one; it's another beautiful *sipping cold latte* style day for a movie review.

This one is Nigerian though.


I subscribed to irokotv this year and have watched a lot of movies on the app. I found myself asking questions, rolling my eyes, laughing my head off, even struggling to finish some movies, so I said to myself: "Lola?", myself said "Yes, beautiful?"; then I blushed back at myself and responded "Why not just write about it on the blog?". And here we are!

Note: I know the kind of hard work that goes into making a movie and I recognize it. However, I'm sharing my views so that we can have meaningful conversations about how amazing a movie was or how it could be better. I hope we can do that.


My own version of a background

A celebrity chef reconnects with his long-time love when she found herself on his cooking show, following a change to his routine by the TV network hosting his show. Their re-connection came with a shipload of unanswered questions and anger they had harbored in the past. Like every other story, they start really rough and end really smoothly.

This is me trying not to spoil the movie for you, you owe me a gift for this.

Review

While I really loved the movie, I had a few issues that kept bugging me throughout. Molade's (Enado Odigie) sister (Bimbo Ademoye) seemed to have a different costuming from her sister because, they were just really wrong. Maybe that also contributed to her acting because Bimbo is one actress I really admire (especially for her stellar acting in Backup Wife which made me scream when she nominated for the same role).Maybe it's just me, but I think she struggled with that role a bit.

I loved Labake's (Fehintola Olulana) interpretation of the role. We all need a Labake in our lives and trust me, I know because I have one in my life. She made me remember my great friendships and I would have "named names", but I won't like to embarrass my friends so I'll just pim. The Lead character Abbey (Jimmy Odukoya) though, I felt he could have done more with the role and be more believable. It seemed like he was better at being a celebrity chef than being Abbey himself. I felt like his supporting characters helped to carry him well, which was good.

And that towards-the-end scene, where Molade recounts the reason why she left - was off the charts! I felt every word she spoke and it was as if I could see the picture she was painting for me. I haven't really seen Enado in a lot of movies but in this one, she was everything.

Highlights

  1. Of course, towards-the-end scene. Every bit of it.
  2. Then there was the first time she came on the cooking show and while Abbey was trying to make egg sauce, she takes over the show by saying "That was not how I taught you". I felt every bit of that! 
  3. Where Abbey and Molade had this hilarious argument about the correct pronunciation of scotch bonnet.

Excited, Happy, Cooked!
Gifer
Rate

6/10

Recommend?


I would definitely recommend you saw it. You might like it better than I did or not. Whichever way, let me know!

Have you seen this movie? What did you think? You know what to do: take a seat in the comments and let's have a chat!

Stay winning.
See you in my next post!

No comments

Back to Top